Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Treating the sickies is a whole new beast

My son woke up with a dry hacking cough and couldn't get back to sleep. We tried lemon water and honey, and it just wasn't cutting it. I ended up giving him a sucker (Yummy Earth Organic Lollipops) because I didn't want him to choke on a cough drop since he was coughing so hard and was in bed.

My kids are rarely sick, and when they are I do natural remedies whenever possible (the only medication any of them has ever had was when I had to give him Benedryl after the original soy incident ). When looking through medications, I can see that even homeopathic remedies are no longer "safe", as they are often cornstarch pellets.

This morning, I called Ricola to find out if they were safe. I was told that their "starch syrup" is corn based. 

Please remember to check the ingredients on everything, every time you buy it. Something that was safe last time may not be safe this time- companies change their ingredients and formulations all the time without warning.

Please don't trust me on things. Use this blog as a jumping off point to do your own research. What I've been told may not be fact, or maybe it was true when I was told and won't be true tomorrow.

Things that are safe:

Honey...Don't Cough- this is 100% pure buckwheat honey in individual packets

Bee M.D. Organic Honey Throat Drops by BestSweet, Honey Lemon flavor- organic brown rice syrup, organic eucalyptus oil, organic evaporated cane juice, organic flavors*, organic honey. I was told by Miss Rita at BestSweet that there is no corn nor corn derivatives in this product or the other flavor.

I'm waiting on a reply from:

Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Cough Ease for Kids Homeopathic Cough Syrup- citric acid*, honey, purified water, sodium benzoate, sucrose*. This also states that it contains 0.001% alcohol which I'm also questioning, as alcohol is often corn derived. I will update when/if I get a reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment