Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2012

The beginning

At the age of 4, my son was diagnosed with a soy allergy after he had a reaction to edamame. He woke up in the middle of the night crying, saying that his throat itched. I didn't think much of it until I saw the rash the next morning.

Due to the fact that his throat was involved, we now carry an Epipen Jr. in case he accidentally ingests some soy and has a severe reaction.

In July of 2011, we found out he is intolerant to corn and milk. Not cheese (I think the enzymes play a part in this, but to be honest I don't know all the ins and outs of this yet). I think casein/lactose may be the difference. Who knows.

When we found out, I was all "oh corn, no biggie. We just won't give him corn." WRONG! Corn is the devil. It's pretty much in everything, just under sneaky names. Needless to say, we've had to change the way we eat to cater to these issues.

This here is my first post about living corn, soy and milk free (as much as possible). I hope it can help someone, somewhere, who might be feeling as frustrated, beat down and alone as we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment